Helpful Guide to Using a VPN for Travel
Helpful Guide to Using a VPN for Travel
If there is a necessity to use a tablet, laptop or phone to search for anything on the Internet, when traveling abroad, it is recommended to use the services of VPN. This is the so-called virtual private network connecting your device with some kind of application or web resource. With its help, you can easily use any Internet site that can be blocked in the region or country, in the bark you are. VPN allows you to change your IP address, encrypting your personal information about your real location.
While you’re making a tour around Europe or international travel, it’s hard to imagine that you do not want to or you will not need to connect to Wi-Fi, especially when it comes to public access in a café, hotel, bus, train station or airport. During such an Internet session, anyone who as well as you have access to the same Wi-Fi point can easily intercept your data and steal all passwords, credit card numbers, and usernames.
Here are the main reasons to use a VPN while traveling:
- to keep money safe;
- to be able to access Netflix from different corners of the planet;
- to connect to Internet resources with geo restrictions without problems;
- to use Facebook in China, without obstacles, bypassing censorship;
- to make use of Skype and other VOIP services
- to secure your personal data when using public Wi-Fi;
- to bypass your banking lock system blocking you out;
- to preserve anonymity;
- to be able to download files privately.
VPN during Your Travel Abroad
VPN services, both overseas, and during normal home use, create the maximum level of protection for your device and personal data.
Using VPN services, your gadget automatically acquires an encrypted environment that private companies, governments or hackers cannot read.
VPN gives the opportunity to use any Internet resources that are closed for some regions. This function is very useful if you want to download something while you’re on a trip, or, for example, to use Facebook when you’re in China.
Tips for Using a VPN for Travel
- Before using the Internet for online payment, entering personal information, card number, passwords or filling in any application, evaluate all risks and the need to run a VPN. The same applies while connecting to open Wi-Fi access points in public places where your personal data is not protected. It’s time to turn on the VPN, which will provide the maximum protection of your device from hacking.
- If the Wi-Fi you are using does not provide the desired speed, the VPN may not start, because for its full functioning it needs a good Internet connection, which will allow the VPN to quickly route your data. In such situations, it is recommended not to rush into conducting any financial transactions that require your data.
- In cases where Wi-Fi provides good speed, but its connection is not stable, you risk protecting your data since the VPN will be disconnected every time the Wi-Fi connection is interrupted. It is recommended that you carefully monitor your VPN status.
- And lastly one more piece of advice. Using VPN services to visit prohibited sites or to conduct any illegal operation, remember that the service saves information about your online activity and the authorities of some countries have the right to request this data.
VPNs Price Differs a lot
Now you can find a wide selection of VPN, including both cheap and completely free. But it is worth remembering that in the end, you will receive what you paid for. With special care, you need to look at free VPN, which does not even provide for any paid services. Free VPNs provide a limited range of services and capabilities (minimum coverage of available geo, small bandwidth limit, etc.). Such VPNs are usually enough if everything that interests you is an unhindered visit to Facebook. But usually, this is not what users are looking for. Of course, you can resort to a little trick and install several VPNs, periodically switching between them. But how long will you last?
Best VPN for Travel
Among a huge number of VPNs, you want to find the best one, but you do not know what to draw attention to when making your choice.
Here are just a few features to look for when you’re selecting a VPN for travel.
- A good VPN should be able to combine work on different devices, for example, if you need to switch from iPhone to Android, this will not be a problem for it.
- VPN can easily combine work on several devices at the same time since the likelihood that you or your partner will need to use a tablet or phone at the same time is very large.
- The speed of VPN should be at an appropriate level, so free VPNs often provide slow service.
- Convenient and fast installation with a detailed accompaniment, which allows you to quickly solve non-tactical moments, is also an important characteristic of a good VPN.
- The availability of technical support that can respond quickly and effectively to your request via e-mail or online consultation is another one necessary element.
VPN will NOT:
- provide you with protection from viruses (for this purpose there are good antiviruses);
- provide protection against malicious software that you may encounter on the Internet (VPN encrypts your data, but cannot prevent infection by a virus if you go through a malicious link);
- provide protection against the penetration of pornographic or other prohibited materials on the Internet (only the firewall can save you from that).
VPN will provide maximum privacy and protection of your personal data when connected to free Wi-Fi access points in public places so that you can fully enjoy your travels or business trips.